This post is by blog team member, Kelly. To learn more about Kelly, check out our team page!
Have you jumped on the Green Smoothie bandwagon yet? Truly Green Smoothies (i.e., smoothies made with mostly greens) are a quick, easy and delicious way to upgrade your nutrition and boost your energy. I’m a fan of green smoothies year-round, but there’s no better time to enjoy a refreshing, healthy blended drink than in these warmer summer months.
Today I’m sharing my Strawberry Green Smoothie recipe to help you incorporate more of this “liquid sunshine” into your life.
This recipe follows my smoothie formula than ensures a truly green smoothie that is nutrient dense and full of fiber. The protein and healthy fat help slow the absorption of the naturally-occurring sugar from the fruit into your bloodstream and make the smoothie a complete meal.
Appetite for Healthy Change™ Green Smoothie Formula:
2 cups leafy greens + 1 cup frozen fruit + 2 tablespoons protein/healthy fat + 1 cup liquid
And while it’s great to have a “go-to” favorite green smoothie, it’s important to try and change up the greens you use. Different greens have different nutritional properties so rotating them gives you a better overall balance of nutrients. A shortcut way to accomplish this is to buy a bag of organic, pre-mixed greens—like the mix of kale, chard and spinach suggested for the recipe below.
Ready to cool down and drink healthy? Then definitely give my Strawberry Green Smoothie a whirl!
And if you’re looking for other smoothie shortcuts, guidelines and recipes, feel free to download my FREE Leafy Green Love e-book. It’s filled with tips to inspire you and your loved ones to happily eat (or drink!) more vegetables.
- 2 cups Earthbound Farms® Deep Green Blends POWER (kale, chard and spinach)
- ½ cup frozen bananas
- ½ cup frozen strawberries
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 1 cup water
- Add all the ingredients to a high-powered blender and blend until well combined.
- Pour into a glass and enjoy!
If you don't have a high-powered blender, try blending your greens and liquid together first, then adding the remainder of the ingredients.
Kelly Harjes is a Certified Holistic Health Coach and founder of Appetite for Healthy Change™. Her mission is to inspire others to look and feel their best, feed their families well, and help improve our food system.
Kitchen Tips and Resources from Bruce:
- Most traditional blenders have enough oomph to mix up green smoothies, but investing in a high-powered blender is a great choice if you’re starting a green smoothie habit! Personally, I’m a huge fan of my Blendtec blender, but I know Kelly loves her Vitamix blender. And if you’re looking for a more budget-friendly high-powered blender, check out the Ninja—it has a lot of loyal fans out there too!
- Colored paper straws can add some festive flair to your smoothie, but I find they sometimes don’t hold up too well when drinking an extra thick green smoothie. So if you’re looking for a sturdy, reusable, safe, and environmentally friendly option, check out these glass straws from Hummingbird.
- Traditional mason jars (or ones with handles) are a fun way to serve up green smoothies.
- If you’re looking for an almond butter to use in this Strawberry Green Smoothie recipe try our recipe for easy, homemade almond butter or choose a healthy, store-bought option preferably with no sugar added.