I love Mexican food. And when I tasted my first breakfast burrito years ago, I was over the moon! Unfortunately, many of the breakfast burritos you can buy are filled with additives and highly processed ingredients. 🙁 Yes, that’s my sad face! Thankfully, making delicious breakfast burritos with REAL ingredients isn’t that difficult!
The BEST Breakfast Burrito EVER Your Whole Family Will Love!
In fact, the hardest part is finding or making whole-wheat tortillas. Other than that it’s a simple as making a scramble, loading up your burrito, and then topping it with your favorite condiments. But to take out the guesswork, I’ve come up with my recipe for the BEST Breakfast Burritos EVER!
And if you’ve got kids who can’t handle a burrito yet, just serve up some of the scramble with some fruit on the side—or maybe use some smaller taco shells. No matter what option you choose, they’ll absolutely love it!
My BEST Breakfast Burrito EVER Recipe
What makes my BEST Breakfast Burrito Ever recipe so delicious? Real ingredients certainly help, but I think it’s the perfect mix of potatoes, onions, eggs, sausage, and cheese. But if you’re a vegetarian, don’t worry, I’ve got a veggie option for you in the notes of the recipe! Woo Hoo! 🙂
So let’s get cooking and make the Best Breakfast Burrito Ever! Perfect for a Saturday morning breakfast, whip up a double batch and you can reheat the filling for a quick, weekday breakfast!
- 5 eggs, beaten (add a little milk if desired)
- 3 medium red potatoes, cubed
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1½ cups shredded cheese
- 2 large links of fully cooked sausage (about 6 ounces) (optional—see vegetarian option in notes)
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- whole-wheat or corn tortillas
- sour cream
- chopped green onions
- Warm olive oil in large skillet. Cook cubed potatoes until starting to brown. Add onions and cook until translucent. Then add optional cooked sausage. Scramble eggs and add to potato and onions. Top with shredded cheese and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve in whole-wheat tortillas and garnish with optional salsa, sour cream, and cilantro.
- For a spicier burrito see notes.
If you'd like to go vegetarian with these burritos, just substitute one 15-ounce can of drained and rinsed white beans or black beans. YUM!!!
Red and green peppers also make a green addition to these breakfast burritos. And if you like your breakfast burrito a little spicy, add jalapenos or green chilies when cooking onions.
Kitchen Tips and Resources for My BEST Breakfast Burrito EVER Recipe:
- If you can’t find any traditional, whole-wheat, organic tortillas, we recommend Ezekiel sprouted whole-wheat tortillas. Food for Life/Ezekiel sprouted wheat tortillas are available at Whole Foods and most food co-ops.
- An effortless shredder for the grated cheese in this recipe is a super kitchen tool to have on hand! I love this super microplane coarse cheese grater. It makes grating a cup of cheese so quick and easy that you might not even miss the convenience of those pre-shredded cheeses which are usually coated with things like wood fibers/cellulose to keep the cheese from clumping in the bag.
- Looking for a quick, easy way to warm your tortillas? I love to use a round, cast-iron skillet like this one from Lodge.